Monday, April 5, 2010

Review: Dr. Herbert West.

Hey guys, Cody here with a quick review on Joe Brusha's and Ralph Tedesco's "The chronicles of DR. Herbert West"



Ok so as some of you might know, I have a unhealthy obsession for the zombie film Genre. A conversation for my plan in case the undead rise from the ground is a weekly based speech with Tim, Bre, Seba, and/or Josh. With that said I can happily say, I found the Re-animator films a great joy.

The other day, when I hit up my secondary comic shop (Hero Comics) I was searching for Johny the Homicidal Maniac issue 3 and Kick-Ass issue 3. I instead found the large table with numerous boxes of 1$ comics. Out of my poor side I always feel the need to find something worth buying in these (Besides most of them are just in the 1$ bin due to some punk kid bending a corner of the comic, crushing the resale value). I found this little gem hiding among a large number of slightly damaged Spider-Girl comics, I was excited to get home a read this seeing how I loved the films, but was cautioned to it ruin my idea of the series. I was Pleasantly surprised by this comic, here's why.

The story: the story of the comic takes place in the start of DR. West Becoming the careless monster we all love to hate for being a greedy, lying, backstabbing douche of a man. The comic starts as Herbert and his caring family visit church. After the minister finished explaining that the human soul leaves the body after death to heaven or hell, the family starts walking home. Herbert noticed his shoe was untied and asked his father to help him tie it. His mother in the distance caring his little sister on her shoulders, slips off the curb when her high heels snap, tossing herself and his litter sister into the street dying instantly when colliding with the front of a New york city bus. For some reason they don't seem to mention his father after this. I assume he wasn't very kind to Herbert.

So Herbert becomes obsessed with reversing death itself. He creates the glowing green serum that re-animates dead cells and tissue. After a large amount of attempts on bringing dead animals back to life, the school chooses to ban Herberts experiments due to lack of safety and insecurity in his work. Herbert then chooses to take up residents in his grandfathers house where he employs local gangsters to bring him fresh human corpses for exchange of 400$ bucks a corpse. Thus the Re-Animator begins his tell of horror.

Writing and Art: The writer's Joe Brusha and Ralph Tedesco and artist's Jason Craig and Axel Medellin Machain did a great job capturing Herberts stranger side and brings in the insecurity we all felt from the movies right to our hands and eyes. The comic gives you a overall dark tone, gives you a strong feeling that something will go wrong before it's finished. The inking is a light coloring with a thick gray scale that makes it feel like a older, darker, film. The perfect mood for this comic.

The writing in the comic never skips a beat. Right on time with the right choice of words. The team that made this comic put some time into perfecting the writing and I feel like a true fan of the films was inspiring them from within to write it. When I first grabbed the comic I had cold feet due to the fact that I thought, capturing Herberts personality and sinister side wouldn't be possible via comic panels. I was dead wrong.

Conclusion: The overall say on the comic is: great story, solid art, great inking, and fantastic writing. I rate this comic a 4 outa 5, I wanted to push it to a 5 outa 5 but the art could have been slightly better on a few panels and I couldn't ignore the fact that his father is never mentioned again after the tragic death of his mother and sister. Regardless of those two flaws, I still greatly enjoyed the comic and recommend it to all who like zombie comics or mad scientists, and greatly recommend it to fans of the film.

I plan on picking up the next issues as soon as I can.

Cody~Out.

No comments: